Friday, November 30, 2007

first snow

Well, here it is. The first "real" snowfall of the year. We had some lovely soft "snow globe" snow yesterday, but no real accumulation. This morning, however, the world was covered in a blanket of white. About three inches, I should think. I turned on the radio to listen to the ridiculous quantity of accidents that had already happened by 7:15, and when it came my turn to brave the white stuff, I grandma-drove all the way to work. (This is an appropriate time to insert how grateful I am to have a garage. It makes me so happy!)

It always bemuses and frustrates me that people are so stupid when the drive on the first snow. Yes, you have to get used to it again. Hello! So drive slowly and cautiously until you get used to it. I'm always amazed how many people totally seem to forget what driving on snow requires--until they slide into a light pole or someone else's rear end. Yes, it was slippery last March, and its slippery again this November. Yes, you need to double your stopping distance.

And no, they don't plow my road. I was wondering about that. The first quarter mile out of my driveway is gravel--and mostly uphill. That last big hill before I reached the pavement--yeah, I was spinning out a little. I can't wait to see what happens when we get "real" amounts of snow. At least things were better once I got to pavement. That's where the plow stopped, see. Right at the edge. I don't know why. Perhaps they can't plow gravel. I've never asked.

So I think I need some chains for my tires. The little Cavalier is plucky, but not indefatigable. At least, I've noted, there is no big ditch for me to slide into. Even if I can't make it up the hill, I probably won't get stuck. I say "probably" to not jinx myself with overconfidence. Perhaps I shall finally get a big bag of cheap kitty litter for the trunk...and one of those emergency shovels.

Or a Land Rover. A Land Rover would work quite nicely. Or a woolly mammoth. I want to ride a woolly mammoth to work. Hm. But where would I park him?

1 comment:

Mrs. DuPuis said...

We have no snow at all in Holland! What gives? :)