Monday, January 7, 2008

happy muffins

Well, ok, so...I know I haven't written in a while. I care, I really do. I'm just quite busy at the moment...

Sigh. No excuse. I know. Well, to placate until opportunity and inspiration collide, here's a fantastic muffin recipe for all to taste and rejoice. It's quite a bit healthier than the rest of the holiday hoopla we've been eating, and hopefully will help us wean ourselves away from the junk. Baby steps...

Banana Carrot Muffins

Combine: 1 ½ c. flour (I use 50/50 wheat/white)
¾ c. sugar*
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
Set aside.

Separate: 2 eggs
Whip egg whites until stiff peaks form, set aside.

Beat egg yolks until light and lemon-colored, then mix in
1 tbs. honey
¼ tsp orange peel
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 c. shredded carrot (2 lg.)
½ c. unsweetened applesauce (*regular, is ok; just use less sugar)

Stir in dry ingredients until just moistened, then fold in egg whites.
Sling into muffin cups or greased muffin tins, bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
Cool 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Then eat them all.

2 comments:

Tait said...

Eeeew, carrots. -Tait

the Wonderspools said...

Poor carrots. What'd they ever do to you?