Thursday, June 5, 2008

oh deer!

The other day I realized that it had been a while since I'd seen my "regulars" in the yard--a doe and her two yearlings. (Ok, so I assume they are both hers--how could I ask her?) When I "met" them last August, they were a momma and two large fawns. Despite the gratuitous quantities of deer that I regularly see, I fancied that I could always pick them out, even when the fawns lost their spots. Not many does travel with two young. So, when I stopped seeing them, I suddenly realized a possible why--and an answer to why I haven't been seeing many deer at all lately.

It's spring! Birthing season. Think Bambi in the thicket. So, had my favorite deer family expanded? How could I know?

I can't know, not for sure. But yesterday evening, as I looked out the living room window in the pre-twilight gray, I saw a doe trot out of the heavy brush that borders the woods just west of my house. She was followed by the smallest fawn I have ever seen.

And I--even I--stopped to saw "aw, how adorable!" I think my cat could beat this little thing up. It was so small and wobbly--and absolutely all legs.

They are definitely nesting? roosting? bedding down? in that patch of thick brush and bramble close to my house. Hopefully, that means I'll see them again, and I'll get to watch that little guy grow.

And maybe I'll get to see his big siblings too. Though they're probably off with families of their own now. The next time I see the herd, I'll ask.

No comments: