Tuesday, November 18, 2008

yeah...

I haven't posted in a while. I know, I know. The fam's in town, the leaves need raking, the Christmas presents needs sewing, the cookies and pies need baking, and...
I've decided to apply to grad school. Pretty much need to get all that done right now.

Oh, no. I'm not quite last-minute. Just...relatively close to last-minute. It's a good thing I'm so good at the hustle. What degree? Oh, yeah. I've decided to go for my MFA in creative writing, with a fiction focus.

More details to come, as I get them. Things are still pretty loosy-goosey. My job this week is to select the schools I wish to apply to and set up a schedule of what's due when. And figure out what to send as my writing samples. I have a lot of rewriting to do! I tend to start something and drop it as soon as anew idea comes along, which is fine if you're just writing for recreation. But now I need something...well, something at least mildly impressive...

4 comments:

Tait said...

Congrats! Here's a few deadlines, just to get you started:

UofM - Jan 1

Western - Jan 1

U of Iowa - Jan 3

NYU - Dec 18

And, of course, you'll need a statement of purpose, a personal statement, 3 letters of recommendation, GRE test scores (the General Test is required), 2 official transcripts, and 20-40 pages of writing samples.

To be on the safe side, you'll probably need most of your stuff turned in by the end of the month. Good luck! -Tait

the Wonderspools said...

Gee, someone's thought about this! :) Weren't you considering going back too?
Fortunately I took my GREs back in '04 when I was horribly bored and working in THE Video Store. Nuff said about that.
Now all I have to worry about is the writing samples...

The Prescott's said...

Yeah! Congrats...I can just see you loving that major! How fun! If you have any samples you just want others to read...let me know. I'm always up for reading what you write. It seems like November and December come faster than any other month eh?

Mrs. DuPuis said...

Congrats!!!