Wednesday, January 14, 2009

running down

I have a gourmet chocolate-covered caramel on my desk. Right now. It's from another editor, who received the box as a thank-you from an author. We like authors that do that.

My goal is to sit and smell the caramel for at least ten minutes before I eat it.

Mmmm....ahhh.

This is hard for me. The more I like something the faster I want to eat it. Chocolate and caramel...yeah, I like. I LIKE. Mmmm....ahhh.

This is a bad habit, and one I want to break. Along with needing three heaping spoons of brown sugar in my oatmeal and not being willing to say no to free doughnuts of good quality.

I know, I know. This sounds like just another New Years' pipe dream. All the health and diet commercials have been getting to me, right? I hope not.

The truth is, I've been meeting my exercise goals for nearly three months now, and have yet to feel my pants loosen at all. I can lift more and run farther that I could last fall, so my time has not been spent in vain, but all the treats and parties of the holiday season have worked their usual black magic and held me captive to sugar.

Mmmm...Ahhh. Smells so good.

Will I be different this year? I don't care about being thin, but I do care about feeling healthy and fit. Can I be different this year? Cue my theme song.

...Running down a dream / That never would come to me...

Who knew Tom Petty could be inspirational? Mmm...aaahhh. Good, it's been ten minutes. Now, let's start with a nibble...

1 comment:

The Prescott's said...

I suddenly have a sugar craving every night after dinner. I didn't realize how addicted I could get in just a few weeks of holiday eating ahhhh! Miss you girl!