Friday, October 19, 2007

Happy Fir Day!

I am sure this is a common problem: when I type, especially when I type quickly, I tend to transpose my letters. "And" becomes "nad," "captain" becomes "catpain" and so on and so forth. Sometimes Microsoft Word catches the mistake and fixes it for me (I had to insist that I wanted cat pain just now), which is convenient but fails to teach me my lesson. Or my elsson. What veer.
One of the words that I transpose most frequently, it seems, is "Friday." For some reason, I keep wanting to say "Firday." No reason for it…or is there?

Perhaps there should be a Fir Day. "Happy Fir Day!" It has a nice ring to it. We could do a kind of Palm Sunday deal, where we wave branches of coniferous trees around instead of palm fronds. We could wear little garlands of soft, short-needled Douglas fir…toss pinecones into the air and at each other…chew spruce gum…

And it would sure smell good. In fact, I think it would be the most pleasant-smelling holiday. And a whole less fattening than Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

the Wonderspools said...

Gar! Spam comment? Who knew there was such a thing? It's almost enough to wreck my fir day.