Monday, February 25, 2008

On understanding God

Well, I’m somewhat glad I don’t. At least that’s how I feel most of the time. If God were small enough to be encompassed by my frail human understanding, then he’s not much of a God. I don’t want a God I can fold up and put in my wallet, convenient as that may seem sometimes. What’s the point of dedicating your entire life to something the size of a handkerchief? No thanks. If something is too easy, it’s not worth it. Give me a God so big and wild that I can barely understand even the parts of him I can see—not to mention the bits hiding around the bend. I have a knowledge of God deeper than understanding. I know that he is the ultimate Good. He loves me with unwavering fervor and I am his child, bought and paid for by the blood of Jesus. Compared to that, a little lack of comprehension is peanuts.

This may sound quite simplistic. Well, I don’t care. And I do still have those days when I wonder what’s going on. I wonder where God is, and what he’s doing. I wonder why I don’t feel more connected to him at times. I do wish I understood at least a little more. And that’s ok--God wants his children to continually seek him. We are build to continually grow and expand out understanding. It’s for our own good and his glory.

And when I do have low moments, that’s usually about the time that I get in the car to go to work--and am smacked in the face with a beautiful sunrise. I don’t need to understand what makes a sunrise tick to realize that it is beautiful and awe inspiring.

No comments: